Wednesday 1 October 2014

to dye or not to dye

au naturel
I am at a crossroads.  My hair hasn't been touched by dye in over a year now because I was pregnant and while I enjoy the natural texture and highlights of my natural hair, I hate the greys!

I started going grey right around when I got married.  That was a very stressful time.  I was overloaded with courses in my last semester of my undergrad (first undergrad haha), working 3 part-time jobs to pay for my wedding, planning my wedding, preparing to move out of province, and carrying on a long-distance relationship with my betrothed!

Ya, stress.

Anywho, I got married to the man of my dreams but shortly afterwards I noticed some shiny, silvery hairs appearing around my temples.

I wasn't too alarmed about it.  I have naturally very dark hair, so any lighter hairs are really noticeable.  And I was a respectable 24 years old and a married woman - grey hairs are appropriate for my station in life.  Well, vanity got the best of me and I have been using boxed wash out dyes every since.

$3 at Dollarama!
I always get the kind that washes out in 28 shampoos because I don't want roots and instead, this just fades away so the effect is more natural.  And I always buy whatever is on sale or stock up if I'm at Dollarama!

with darker hair and very early in my pregnancy
What I don't like about the boxed dyes is that my hair ends up looking very monotone without natural looking highlights and lowlights.  Maybe one day I'll splurge and get a professional job...

So, now I can't decide, just let it go and let nature take it's course or give in to society's pressures and try to turn back the hands of time and cover up my greys?

2 comments:

  1. Hair color is a really personal choice, as is teeth whitening, nail polish, leg waxing, clothing (well, that's not really a choice because everyone should wear clothing!) - ok - sandals or shoes, red dress or black slacks, ... you get the point. You are a lovely lady & to color your hair or not, is simply a decision you should make based on how it makes you feel. My simple 2 cents worth. Love ya -anyway you look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Aunt Karen. I did dye my hair and it makes me feel good! I just like covering up my greys and I think that I always will! But so much love to the ladies out there who rock silver locks!

    ReplyDelete