Monday 6 October 2014

recipe monday: pumpkin pie oatmeal


Full disclosure:  I totally took this recipe from the Instagram account of fit2fat2fitwife.  She is always coming up with tasty and healthy recipes so shout out to her! 

I've been kind of obsessed with healthy and protein-packed pumpkin recipes because it's October and all.  I had my first Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbuck's and while it was good, I don't think it was worth the price tag.  Most times when I go out these day, I end up thinking to myself, "I could make better at home and save the difference!"  Soooooo, I have purchased many a can of pure pumpkin and gone to town experimenting with yummy recipes.  

I love this oatmeal!  It delicious, healthy, and so versatile as you can put in endless add-ins depending on your mood or goals (my fav is a scoop of vanilla protein powder).

 Here's what you'll need:



2 cups oatmeal (steel cut or old fashioned)
3 cups unsweetened almond milk (other milk works too)
1 1/2 cup water
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 small (15 oz. can) pumpkin puree
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 1/2 tbsp pumpkin pie spice

Optional add-ins:
sweetener (1 cup Truvia, Stevia, etc.)
nuts
apples
protein powder (my fav)
butter
brown sugar
 

 Here's how to make it:

1. Place all ingredients into crockpot and whisk until mixed.
2. Cook on low for 3-6 hours, depending on your desired consistency of oatmeal. (I did my last batch for only 3 hours and it turned out just perfect for me!)
3. Let cool and enjoy!
4. Place left-overs in fridge and you'll have enough for breakfasts for a week!


Since I try to get a serving of protein into every one of my 5 meals of the day, I put a scoop of protein powder on top of my oatmeal, a little water, and mix - then heat in microwave and top with a few berries!

Hope you enjoy!  What are some of your favourite fall recipes?!

No comments:

Post a Comment